Procedure for witnesses
The university management asks all staff and students to contribute to a respectful and trusting working atmosphere which prevents sexual harassment. If you should witness somebody being harassed, take heart and
- Take a stand
- Offer your support to the victim
- Confront the harasser
- Or contact the respective office
As an observer you can save the victim a lot of suffering. Could be that you’ll get up some people’s noses – but taking a stand in public is always a bit uncomfortable, isn’t it? This is how you can effectively support the victim:
- Don’t laugh at (yet another) sexist remark or joke.
- Talk to the person concerned if you suspect or witness that she or he is being harassed.
- Encourage them to put up a fight.
- Accompany the person to meetings with superiors, the HR department or the contact point if they so wish.
- Do nothing without the consent of the victim!
- Make yourself available as a witness.
- Draw the attention of your superiors and the HR department or your lecturer to the situation.